Affectionately known as “Mr. D.” around Riverside, Nate has devoted his adult life to the Riverside community and Riverside Community College in particular. Fifty-five years ago, after serving his country at March Air Force Base, Nate felt a connection to Riverside and decided to stay. He traded in his UCLA sweatshirt for one bearing the RCC Tiger logo. He served as Head Football Coach at RCC from 1950 to 1956, compiling what he calls “a respectable record”. Along the way, he became involved in community events and enjoyed working to help kids.
In 1957 he moved into the classroom and Student Services. He became the “go-to” person for help with student loans at the college. In 1972, Mayor Ab Brown consulted with him as the city and college collaborated on the Evans Park baseball fields. The plans became a reality. The Pony League field at that location was named for him. He was instrumental in his support for the first Child Care Center at RCC, as well as the first Campus Police Department. He became involved with local businessmen to establish an athletic support group known as the Tiger Backers, a college fund raising arm which helped the many teams and athletes who have played at RCC. The span of his years at the College have covered every RCC President and were marked by notable contributions and life-changing success stories in the many kids and young adults he impacted. Thanks, “Mr. D. “